West Hills Middle School Forensics Win National Championship
On June 11, 17 members of the West Hills Middle School Forensics Team were crowned national champions in the 2012 National Forensics Tournament, June 13-16.
The results for West Hills were staggering: 33 quarter-finalists (Top 24 in the nation), 17 semi-finalists (Top 12 in the nation) and 9 finalists (Top 6 in the nation). These numbers allowed the team to be given the prestigious School of Excellence Award and ultimately be recognized as the 2012 National Champions.
In addition, West Hills is proud to announce that two of its team members were crowned individual national champions. Michael Russo is the 2012 Oratory National Champion and Jeremy Taigman is the 2012 Extemporaneous Speaking National Champion.
Both champions have been offered a $2000 scholarship to attend the prestigious Florida Forensic Institute’s summer camp. The FFI is the nation’s premiere forensics workshop.
Individual team members competed for three days in 11 events, performing up to 16 times per day including three preliminary rounds and three elimination rounds.
The tournament sites were the campus of Ben Davis High School and the Indiana Convention Center. According to national tournament director, Adam Jacobi, this was the largest Nationals in history with 68 schools and 985 entries.
Individual winners include:
- Hanna Wink #6 in the nation
- Semi-finalist: Spencer Nabors
- Quarter-finalist: Isabel Smith
- Miles Eichenhorn #5 in the nation
- Jenna Lee #6 in the nation
- Semi-finalists: Cameron Craig, Arin Champati
- Quarter-finalists: Sanya Verma, Merrick Weingarten
- Jeremy Taigman #4 place in the nation
- Quarter-finalist: Ishani Champati
- 2012 National Champion Michal Russo
- Emma Warnecke #4 place in the nation
- Semi-finalist: Jenna Lee
- Quarter-finalists: Spencer Nabors, Mandy Lu
- 2012 National Champion Jeremy Taigman
- Emma Warnecke #2 place in the nation
- Semi-finalist: Miles Eichenhorn
- Quarter-finalists: Hanna Wink, Michael Russo, Elise Dishman
- Quarter-finalists: Hanna Wink/Michael Russo
- Amelia Klass #6 place in the nation
- Semi-finalists: Ishani Champati, Arin Champati
- Quarter-finalists: Cameron Craig, Spencer Nabors
- Semi-finalist: Jeremy Taigman
- Quarter-finalists: Arin Champati, Miles Eichenhorn
- Quarter-finalists: Hanna Wink, Ishani Champati
The team is coached by Rachel Warnecke, Tom Roccotagliata, Shay Johnson, Evan Mann and Hannah Manela.
— Submitted by Coach Rachel Warnecke