Honor local military heroes during the 2012 Veteran's Day wreath-laying ceremony in Shain Park. The event is co-sponsored by the city of Birmingham and Daughters of the American Revolution Piety Hill chapter. According to the National Weather Service, the skies will be mostly sunny with a high near 66 degrees. But hold onto your hats, winds are predicted to be seven to 10 miles per hour, with gusts up to 30 miles per hour.
- When: 1 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: Free
Veterans Day Concert
- When: 4-5:30 p.m. Sunday
- Where: 6869 Franklin Rd. Bloomfield Hills,
- Cost: Free
Join Oakland County Circuit Judge and Patroit Week co-founder Michael Warren and his daughter Lily for a special event featuring patriotic music. The
St. Owen Choirs (Adult, Bells and Children) will join the TACOM Army choir from Warren and the Franklin Community Church Choir to present a very special Veteran's Day concert. Accompanying the patriotic music will be a color guard, an Armed Forces tribute, and more.
- Dearborn - Henry Ford Community College will host a Veterans Day Celebration with a ceremony and panel discussion from 11AM to 12:30 PM on MOnday, Nov. 12 at the Forfa Auditorium, ASCC Building, 5101 Evergreen Road, in Dearborn. Meet Miss Michigan 2012. All events are free and open to the public. Contact the student activities office at 313-845-9865 for more information or see attached flyer.
- Detroit - The Detroit Historic Civil War Society will hold its 28th annual Veterans Day ceremony for the 102nd US Colored Troops of the Civil War starting at 9:30AM on Monday, Nov. 12. This ceremony will take place at Elmwood Cemetery, corner of E Lafayette & McDougal, with a flyover at 10. Contact Robert at 313-300-0165 for more information or see attached flyer.
- Royal Oak - The Royal Oak VFW will Honor Veterans 3rd Annual Live radio broadcast on WSDS 1480AM. Listen live @www.wsds1480.com (The Veterans Hour) Phone: (248) 542-6564 http://www.www.acorn1669.org
- Troy – The Troy Veterans Memorial Committee will host their annual Troy Veterans Day Ceremony at Troy Veterans Plaza in front of City Hall this Sunday, Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. The public is invited to bring individual flowers, bouquets, small flags and other appropriate mementos to be placed on the walk of honor or at the base of the Veterans Memorial in honor of a loved one or all veterans. Nancy Susick, current president of Beaumont Hospital in Troy and a 24-year veteran of the Navy Reserve, will be the keynote speaker. For more information, call City of Troy Director of Community Affairs Cindy Stewart at 248-524-1147.
- White Lake - White Lake VFW Post Ladies Auxiliary 4156 is holding its 4th annual Thanksgiving Dinner for Veterans. All are welcome from 3 to 7PM on Saturday, Nov. 10. Bring your family for a fine dinner. The post is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake. Call 810-227-2091 for tickets or see attached flyer.
Many Michigan businesses offer special discounts, freebies and offers exclusively for Veterans Day. Here is a list of Veterans Day specials, courtesy of the Military Wallet website.
- Applebee's - Stop into a participating Applebee’s on Sunday, November 11, 2012 to get your Veterans day free meal. You’ll be able to choose a meal from a limited Veteran’s Day menu that includes steak, cheeseburgers, chicken tenders, salad, pasta, chicken, and shrimp. You can see the complete menu by using the link above. This deal is dine-in only and beverages and gratuity are not included. You’ll need to bring in one proof of military service such as a U.S. Uniform Service ID card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired ID card, current Leave and Earnings statement, photograph in uniform, be wearing your uniform, a veterans organization card such as American Legion or VFW, or a DD214. Find an Applebee’s near you and call ahead to find out if they are participating in the Veterans Day free meal.
- T.G.I. Friday's - T.G.I. Friday’s will be having free lunch for all veterans and active military on Monday, November 12, 2012.
- Krispy Kreme - Veterans can start their Veteran’s Day off with a free breakfast at Krispy Kreme that includes a doughnut and a small coffee.
- Hooters - Stop by a participating Hooters anytime on Sunday, November 11, 2012 and get a Veterans Day free meal. You’ll get 10 free boneless wings. A drink purchase is required. You’ll need to bring in a military ID or proof of military service. Dine in only.
- Little Caesar's - Stop into a participating Little Caesar’s and get a free order of Crazy Bread. I recommend calling ahead to verify that your local Little Caesar’s is participating. You’ll need to present a valid military I.D. to get this freebie.
- Olive Garden - Olive Garden is offering a free meal to all veterans and active duty military on Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 2012. Provide proper proof of service at any Olive Garden restaurant in the US and Canada and enjoy a free entree, complete with baked garlic breadsticks and a choice of soup or salad. Veterans can choose from Seafood Alfredo, Chicken Parmigiana, Soup, Salad, & Bread sticks, Braised Beef & Tortellini, Cheese Ravioli, or Spaghetti & Meatballs.
- Famous Dave - Famous Dave will be offering FREE Two Meat Salute - choose two different meats served with a Corn Bread Muffin and your choice of one side.
- Chili's - Chili's will be offering a free meal to Vets on Nov. 11 from a specially selected menu. Vets will also have a reduced cost ($5) brownie sundae that can be purchased. You’ll need to show proof of military service to get your Veterans Day free meal – a U.S. Uniform Services ID Card, a U.S. Uniform Services Retired ID Card, a Current Leave and Earnings Statement, Veterans Organization Card, a DD214, a photograph in uniform, or wear your uniform. Find a Chili’s near you so you can stop in and get your free meal.
- Texas Roadhouse – free lunch, Sunday, Nov. 11 2012. Every Texas Roadhouse location across the country will participate in the free lunch event to honor the men and women of our armed forces. Choose from one of 10 free meals, plus sides and a drink. Offer good for All veterans – including all active, retired or former U.S. military. ID Required. Find locations.
- Outback Steakhouse - Stop into any Outback Steakhouse on November 11-12 to get a free Bloomin’ Onion and Coca-Cola product. From Nov. 11- Dec. 31, enjoy our Military Mates 10% discount too! This offer is for veterans as well as active duty military. You’ll need to bring in one ID such as a U.S. Uniform Services ID card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired ID card, current Leave and Earnings statement, DD form 214, a veterans organization card, a photograph of you in uniform, or you can wear your uniform to get your free Veterans Day meal. Find an Outback Steakhouse near you to get your Veterans Day free meal.
- Red Robin - Veterans and active duty military can stop into their local Red Robin on Monday, November 12 to get a free Red's Tavern Double burger and Bottomless Steak Fries. Be sure to bring your military ID to take advantage of this Veterans Day freebie.
- Denny's - Stop by Denny's on Monday, November 12, 2012 and all active, non-active, and retired military personnel can get free all you can eat pancakes from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. All Denny's locations are participating in this promotion and you'll just need to bring a valid military ID along with you.
- Bar Louie - Bar Louie locations across the country will offer veterans and military personnel a free meal up to a $11 value when they show valid military I.D. or other proof of service. You can stop by a location near you and get your free Veterans Day meal for lunch or dinner.
- Subway - Select SUBWAY® Restaurants will offer a FREE six inch sub or flatbread to military veterans on Veterans Day. This offer is valid only on November 11, 2012 at participating local SUBWAY® restaurants, Military ID or proof of service required.Note: SUBWAY® Restaurants are franchises, so this offer may not be available everywhere. Please call ahead for participation and times.
- Tim Hortons – all US locations are offering a free donut to all veterans (check out the Star Spangled donut!).
- Lowe’s 10% Veterans Day Discount – Lowe's usual military discount of 10% off all purchases is extended to all veterans for Veterans Day weekend.
- Seven-Eleven – Free small Slurpee on Friday, Nov. 11 from 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Offer good to all current and former military members. ID or proof of service required.