It's Labor Day and You're Wondering: What's Open and Closed?
Still in town this Labor Day? Here's what will be open in the Bloomfield area.
Labor Day is Monday, and while offices are closed and the barbecues are fired up, you still may need to get out and around the Bloomfield area. Here's what you need to know about what's open and closed.
- Bloomfield Township: Aside from public safety, all Bloomfield Township departments, including the clerk's office, planning department and the treasurer's office will be closed Monday. Offices will reopen for regular business hours starting at 7 a.m. Tuesday.
- Bloomfield Hills: All city departments, except for the Department of Public Safety will be closed Monday.
- Post office: The U.S. Post Office at 2050 South Blvd. is closed and there will not be any mail delivery or pickup. The post office will reopen Tuesday for normal business hours.
- Trash collection: Trash collection will be one day late this week in the township due to the holiday.
- Library: The Bloomfield Township Public Library will be closed Monday, but will reopen Tuesday at regular business hours.
- Arts: The Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center is closed until Tuesday morning. Information about fall classes and registration is available anytime on their website.
- Science: The Cranbrook Institute of Science will be closed beginning on Labor Day through Sept. 12 in preparation for the school year. Doors will re-open to the public at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 13. Regular public hours throughout the school year are Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. with extended on hours on Friday until 10 p.m., and Sunday Noon-4 p.m.
- Grocery stores: All grocery stores, including Kroger and Hollywood Market, will be open regular hours Monday.
- School Supplies: A little behind on those have-to's for the school year? Local stores like Costco, Kmart,and OfficeMax will all be open.
- Movies: Take a family trip to the movies this Labor Day. The Birmingham 8 and Palladium 12 theaters are open Monday, with screenings beginning at 11 a.m. Now showing is Apollo 18, Shark Night, The Help and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Or, if you've been putting it off, there are still showings of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 at the Palladium.
- Exercise: Don't let the holiday be an excuse to miss your workout. LA Fitness will be open from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Bally Total Fitness will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.