The news of the death of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs on Wednesday sent shock waves across the Internet during the evening, as millions of people reflected on the impact that he and his products had on everyday consumers.
"Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in an email sent Wednesday evening to all Apple employees, including those at Somerset Collection's Apple store.
Locally, on Twitter and Facebook, people shared their favorite Apple products and reflected on how different their lives would be without the products Jobs' vision helped create.
Grosse Pointe Woods' resident Kevin Hardy tweeted: "To explain why Steve Jobs was so important is simple: Every Apple product I've ever owned felt like it was built for me."
Joe Johnson at public access television CMNtv in Troy explained that products that Jobs and Apple created, especially video editing software, opened the market to new people. "It brought video to the common man and made it more affordable to give them the tools that 10 or 15 years ago only Hollywood had access to," said Johnson, CMNtv's Outreach Coordinator.
"Steve Jobs' products and company – Apple – have given me a career," said Chris Weagel, a production coordinator at CMNtv.
Jobs co-founded Apple in 1976 and helped to build it into a leader in consumer technology with products such as the iPhone, App store, iPods, Mac products, as well as an array of software. Jobs also co-founded and was the CEO of Pixar Animation Studios, which created innovative animated movies such as Toy Story, Finding Nemo and Cars.
Jobs, 56, had battled cancer on and off for about seven years. He stepped down as Apple's CEO on Aug. 24 to focus on his health.
Patch readers reflect on Jobs' impact
Following are some comments Patch users and followers made on Twitter and Facebook about their favorite Apple products and the legacy Jobs leaves behind:
- "We lost a modern day genius" – Liberty Massey, Berkley Patch Facebook
- "Our world has lost a true pioneer. It is a shame his young and innovative mind could not overcome his body. Yet, his legacy will continue to grow. He laid a foundation for how our world now communicates and functions, and that will never die." – Libby Held Turpin, Berkley Patch Facebook
- "Wow. Seriously one of my biggest inspirations. He changed all of our lives in some way. Unbelievable. Rest in peace Steve." – @imkayn of West Bloomfield on Twitter
- "RIP Steve Jobs. Talk about accomplishing something with your life. Very few others have had such an important impact on so many lives." – West Bloomfield native @lowe1md on Twitter
- "Never bought anything else but Apple products. Will miss him. One of the greatest innovators." – Shirley Roth, Rochester Patch Facebook
How has Steve Jobs and Apple affected your life and/or business?