Who's Running For State Office on the Bloomfield Ballot
Before you head to the polls Tuesday, get caught up on what to expect on that ballot with Patch.
Statewide races will make up a good portion of the ballot voters in Bloomfield Township and Bloomield Hills will see at the polls on Tuesday, Nov. 6. Get what you need to know before you go.
State Representative — 40th District
Bloomfield-area residents will be voting for who will fill the soon-to-be empty seat in the Michigan House of Representatives in the 40th District.
The 40th District is made up of Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township and parts of West Bloomfield. Currently, the district is represented by Birmingham resident Chuck Moss (R-Birmingham), who has to step down at the end of the year due to term limits.
- Residence: Bloomfield Hills
- Party: Republican
- Occupation/Experience: McCready is a principal at the Birmingham-based McCready and Associates. He was elected to the Bloomfield Hills City Commission in 2007.
- History in the race: McCready Entered the Crowded GOP Field For State Representative in late April, noting "we need to keep Michigan on the right track financially." He beat a four-candidate field with 32 percent of the vote in the August Primary.
- Biggest issue facing Michigan: "I am willing to work with Governor Snyder and anyone in Lansing to help Michigan be a better place for job creators," McCready said in April. "The citizens of Michigan want their government to work, and they don't care who does it or who gets credit for it."
- Residence: West Bloomfield
- Party: Democrat
- Occupation/Experience: Coston, 39, is a certified paralegal, working for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office Special Operations and Safe School Initiative. Before that, he spent time as a small business owner and public school teacher.
- History in the race: Coston joined the race earlier this summer and has not before run for public office, though he worked on several campaigns in Michigan 14th congressional district. He was unopposed in the August Primary.
- Biggest issue facing Michigan: Early childhood education and local public schools are a focus of legislation which Coston hopes to champion. He said that he hopes to raise an increase of 10 percent of current funds every year to improve early childhood programs in public schools.
- Residence: Birmingham
- Party: Libertarian
Burgis did not respond to Patch's request for an interview, nor did he respond to a survey from the Oakland County League of Women Voters.
State colleges, universities
Birmingham voters will have the opportunity to vote for representaion on various state education boards, including:
State Board of Education (vote for no more than two)
- Todd Courser (Republican)
- Melanie Kurdys (Republican)
- Michelle Fecteau (Democratic)
- Lupe Ramos-Montigny (Democratic)
- Andy LeCureaux (Libertarian)
- Karen Adams (U.S. Taxpayers)
- Gail Graeser (U.S. Taxpayers)
- Candace Caveny (Green)
- Dwain Reynolds (Green)
Regent for University of Michigan (vote for no more than two)
- Dan Horning (Republican)
- Robert Steele (Republican)
- Mark Bernstein (Democratic)
- Shauna Ryder Diggs (Democratic)
- James Hudler (Libertarian)
- Gregory Stempfle (Libertarian)
- Joe Sanger (U.S. Taxpayers)
- Gerald Van Sickle (U.S. Taxpayers)
- Eric Borregard (Green)
- Nikki Mattson (Natural Law)
Trustee for Michigan State University (vote for no more than two)
- Melanie Foster (Republican)
- Jeff Sakwa (Republican)
- Joel Ferguson (Democratic)
- Brian Mosallam (Democratic)
- Michael Miller (Libertarian)
- Bill Mohr (U.S. Taxpayers)
- Stephen Young (U.S. Taxpayers)
- Lloyd Clarke (Green)
Governors for Wayne State University (vote for no more than two)
- Michael Busulto (Republican)
- Satish Jasti (Republican)
- Sandra Hughes O'Brien (Democratic)
- Kim Trent (Democratic)
- Robert Gale (U.S. Taxpayers)
- Marc Sosnowski (U.S. Taxpayers)
- Margaret Guttshall (Green)
- Lathan Redding (Green)
Board of Trustees members for Oakland Community College (vote for no more than two)
- Clay Jansson
- David Kniffen
- Gillian Levy
- Olga Meyer
- Christine Marle O'Sullivan
- Angela River
- Latrecia Renee Scott
- E. Wadsworth Sherrod III
- Randy Ston
- Steve Thomas
- David Trott
- Ravi Yalamanchi
- Pamala Davis
Information provided by the Oakland County League of Women Voters. For more, visit the League's Voter Guides.