There is a scheduled Study Session on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 @ 9 AM in the Township main hall. Here is the (tentative) Safety Path Review Agenda:
1. History of Safety Path Program
2. Budget for Safety Path Program
3. Proposed 2013 Routes
4. Maintenance for Safety Paths
5. Future Routes on Master Plan
6. Discussion/ Action
The seven members of the Board of Trustees and most likely employees that have worked with safety paths in the past from the Engineering and Environment Departments and others will engage in a discussion as to the direction of the program in the future. The public is encouraged to attend and the Board of Trustees will permit comments from the public. Important: I have gathered information from the Township website about this issue in another BLOG for your review prior to the meeting. Please visit that blog.
QUESTIONS AND POSSIBLE ACTION BY THE BOARD:
- Should the Township authorize another special millage for more safety paths?
- Should the Township authorize a special millage just for the purpose of repair and maintenance of existing safety paths?
- IF your answer is yes, for how many years and at what rate?
- Should the Township let the Safety Path millage expire in 2013?
- Does anyone have a different possible action concerning the Safety Paths?
- Remember, that special millages may ONLY BE SPENT on the issue/program as stated on the ballot. The money may not be used for any other township purpose. For that reason, my opinion is to have the SAFETY PATH millage EXPIRE in 2013 and NOT be RENEWED.
- The General Fund can and should be used for township purposes. In 2010, the voters approved a 1.3 mill as an "operational millage". That millage is for ten years and collects approximately 4 million dollars per year. This money may be used for safety paths.
- Adjust the routes (if needed) to be built with the already collected 1.5 million dollars for 2013 to fulfill a void in the connections of the paths.
- The Township should report the amount of excess or (loss) of money noted at the end of each budget year since 1999 in the safety path fund. I believe since 1999 there should be a surplus of funds currently available and earning interest. I would like to know that figure. That money and the vehicles/equipment purchased with safety path millage money should be used for safety path repairs in the future.
- At this writing, I am NOT in favor of extending the safety path program. I will attend and participate in the study session meeting. There needs to be strong evidence that would change my mind. That said, based on comments made by the Township leadership at various times of the year, I believe the majority of the members of the Board want to continue and/or expand the safety path program. Is this what you want? Please attend the meeting.
- FYI: In 2013...there is another Police/Fire millage expiring.
- FYI: In 2013... the Senior Services millage is expiring. This subject should also have a Study Session.