There is no treatment or vaccine against norovirus. Suspect you have it? Here are some Bloomfield-area resources that may be able to help. To help prevent contamination, the CDC recommends the following tips:
1. Practice proper hand hygiene
Always wash your hands carefully with soap and water:
- After using the toilet and changing diapers.
- Before eating, preparing, or handling food.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water.
2. Wash fruits and vegetables and cook seafood thoroughly
- Carefully wash fruits and vegetables before preparing and eating them.
- Cook oysters and other shellfish thoroughly before eating them.
- Be aware that noroviruses are relatively resistant. They can survive temperatures as high as 140°F and quick steaming processes that are often used for cooking shellfish. Food that might be contaminated with norovirus should be thrown out.
- Keep sick infants and children out of areas where food is being handled and prepared.
3. When you are sick, do not prepare food or care for others
- You should not prepare food for others or provide health care while you are sick and for at least 2 to 3 days after you recover.
- This also applies to sick workers in schools, daycares, and other places where they may expose people to norovirus.
4. Clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces
- After throwing up or having diarrhea, immediately clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces.
- Use a chlorine bleach solution with a concentration of 1000–5000 ppm (5–25 tablespoons of household bleach [5.25%] per gallon of water) or other disinfectant registered as effective against norovirus by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
5. Wash laundry thoroughly
Immediately remove and wash clothes or linens that may be contaminated with
vomit or stool (feces). You should:
- Handle soiled items carefully without agitating them.
- Wear rubber or disposable gloves while handling soiled items and wash your hands after.
- Wash the items with detergent.