Got plans for Tuesday night or Wednesday? Make sure you take the weather into account because winter doesn't appear to be going anywhere.
The National Weather Service (NWS) already issued a winter storm watch for the Bloomfield area and all of Metro Detroit starting Tuesday afternoon. The watch won't officially end until sometime Wednesday.
According to the NWS, a low pressure system will bring a "plume of deep moisture" across southern Michigan on Tuesday. The cold air means this area of moisture should be able to sustain a band of heavy, wet snow — up to seven inches of snow, in some areas.
"There remains some uncertainty as to the overall track of this storm system and the locations which will receive the more prolonged period of heavy snow," the forecast says, noting that areas south of I-96 could receive a mix of rain and snow as warmer air moves into the area.
This could mean the third official snow day of the 2013 in the Bloomfield Hills Schools and local private schools.
During a winter weather watch, rapid snow accumulation and poor visibility may lead to hazardous driving conditions, as well as stress on the trees and power lines, causing some power outages.
According to the NWS's five-day forecast, here's what the weather will look like for Birmingham during the next few days and nights:
- Tuesday: High near 33 degrees. A slight chance of snow before noon, then snow possibly mixed with rain. New snow accumulation of 1-3 inches is possible. The chance of precipitation: 90 percent.
- Tuesday night: Low near 31 degrees. Wind gusts up to 26 miles per hour and new snow accumulation of 3-5 inches possible. The chance of precipitation: 90 percent.
- Wednesday: High of 34 degrees. New snow accumulation of 1-2 inches possible. The chance of precipitation: 90 percent.
- Wednesday night: Snow showers are likely, mainly before 8 p.m. The low will be around 30 degrees under cloudy skies. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Thursday: High of 35 degrees with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Low of 25 degrees.
- Friday: High of 31 degrees under mostly cloudy skies. Low of 19 degrees.