Why vote for me, W. F. (Vic) Moigis? Why am I running?
I have had the pleasure of raising three children in our school district as well as in other parts of the country and the world. This has provided me with an understanding of the the advantages as well as the shortcomings of the Bloomfield Hills Schools.
I have observed the following advantages:
- A very dedicated community that has seen fit to allocate very substantial financial resources towards their children’s education.
- Many classes at the High School level that are equivalent to many European and other international academic levels.
- Many dedicated teachers that have had our children’s best interest at their hearts.
- Many school buildings are would be the envy of the rest of the world.
By the same token, I have also noticed the following shortcomings:
- The K-12 curriculum is not designed to raise our children to those academic standards of nations that we are competing against today. We have a core curriculum that needs to be raised substantially.
- We have (at the High School level) an academic segment where students that are focused on a clear path to their future will do very well with the Advanced Placement courses. These courses are considered normal courses in most of the rest of the world. This leaves our children who do not take advantage of these courses at an immediate disadvantage vis-à-vis their future competitors.
- On the average, I see our H.S. diploma equivalent of a 10 grade “degree” outside of the United States. This needs to be addressed sooner than later.
- Those students graduating with a GPA of 4.2 to 4.5 certainly are competitive on a worldwide basis.
- Our schools have a serious drug problem and discipline problem. This situation has our administrators in a bind that they find difficult to address.
- I believe that we could and should rationalize our student to employee ratio (5.5 to 1) substantially.
- A sense of fiscal restraint should be introduced to our Board! I do not believe that we unlimited financial resources!
This is a partial list of reasons that I am running for BHS Board of Trustees and should I get elected, I will certainly use all of my managerial and academic background to help our students succeed in this difficult we already live in.